The REWARD project was successful in receiving a grant in 2009 from the European Commission under the Eco Innovation Funding Program.
The focus of REWARD is threefold:
- To improve size reduction methods for WEEE
- To create an optimal degree of liberation
- To apply innovative separation technologies with better efficiencies and revenues
With these conditions the enhanced re-use, recycling and recovery of metals, polymers, precious metals and rare earth metals is demonstrated with a variety of equipment at manufacturers, research institutions and partners companies.
The innovative new sorting process will be modelled to design a final WEEE separation train with modern life cycle calculation software.
The project consists of the following work packages:
- To give an overview of supply materials and to select relevant WEEE categories
- To develop a sampling strategy for different categories
- To perform demonstration tests with characteristic material mixtures
- To evaluate the results of the demonstrations
- To disseminate and exploit the new WEEE processing design
REWARD officially started on August 3rd, 2009 and will run for 36 months.
For more information about the project, please contact us.